The main mission of the Faculty is to educate, research and present innovative processes applicable in agriculture, the food processing industry and related disciplines. All of these activities are carried out independently or in national and international collaborations.
The faculty’s dean, Prof. Branko Kramberger, PhD
- Research, education and the transfer of knowledge into practice in order to accommodate the needs of agriculture, the food processing industry and fields connected to agriculture.
- Co-creating public opinions and policies on food safety, creating self-sufficiency via environmentally friendly food, preserving agricultural land, increasing biodiversity, reducing greenhouse emissions and other impurities harmful to the environment.
- Our values are rooted in honesty, curiosity, creativity, a free spirit, cooperation and knowledge exchange, a special care concerning people and sustainable development, enriching the body of knowledge on agriculture, raising awareness, strengthening humanistic values, encouraging fruitful dialogues, quality of living and global fairness.
- Being an internationally visible research, teaching and innovation centre for agriculture, food and sustainable resources.
- Being a centre of connection where we can create new fundamental and applicable knowledge that we can share with international and local researchers and graduates, and with agricultural economies and companies.
- Recognising and dealing with problems and challenges in the 21st century, and finding solutions through research and shaping study programmes according to future needs.
- Being a centre for international exchange among professors, researchers and students.
- A place of innovation and analysis.
- Being an active co-creator of agricultural, food related, economic and environmental policies.
Slogan: Knowledge and tradition
FALS’s Strategic Course
- Preparing students to enter the workforce and spreading awareness about the wider impact of agriculture in every-day life and the environment.
- Educating our staff about their professional and educational ethos, where the goal is to educate confident, professionally knowledgeable students, who are competent in using scientific methods in solving practical challenges and who have a good enough theoretical knowledge to continue their studies in higher education.
- Contributing towards innovation and high-tech solutions for challenges in producing safe high-quality food, for using natural resources and preserving the environment.
- Constantly increase the educational quality by using up to date teaching methods, which also encourage discussion, free expression of opinions and views and which lead to developing competences relevant to future employers.
- Making sure the study programmes are visible and up to date with international curriculums and have interdisciplinary contents.
- Increasing international mobility.
- Increasing the formal and informal cooperation with the faculty’s alumni students.
- Cooperate with other institutions within the country and abroad, maximally activate our resources and potentials, get involved in research projects and strengthen our international visibility and activity in our home environment.
- Strengthen the visibility of our research work locally and abroad.
- Transfer knowledge into practical use and get involved in commercial and non-commercial activities.
- Keeping the University’s Agricultural Centre up to date and its research, laboratory and computer equipment.
- FALS’s Agricultural Centre provides equal support to research and education activities at FALS, and all other areas the faculty is developing, and does the same for all other members of the university when required.
- FALS’s Agricultural Centre tries to move towards an economically viable food production which tries to have as little negative impacts on the environment as possible, tries to promote ecologically produced food adapted to the needs of the local food market, produce products with added value and tries to develop sustainable tourist products.
FALS’s mission, vision and strategic course were approved at FALS’s academic staff meeting on 21.2. 2019, at FALS’s strategic committee meeting on 22.2. 2019 and at FALS’s senate meeting on 27.2. 2019.