Educational Milestones and History of the Maribor Area and the Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- 1832 - Archduke John establishes the School of Viticulture on his estate above Pekre pri Mariboru
The viticulture and wine production centre at Meranovo
- 1872 - foundation of the Horticulture and Viticulture School in Maribor (original German name: Steiermäkische Landes - Obst und Weinbauschule)
- 1922 - foundation of the Secondary School of Agriculture in Maribor
- 1957 - foundation of the Secondary School of Agricultural Engineering in Maribor
Previous faculty premises at Vrbanska street in Maribor
Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- 1960 - the history of the Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences begun in 1960, when the College of Agronomy (CA) was founded, offering two-year study programs. The time of establishment coincides with the period of rapid growth of large-scale state and collective farms. The curricula content of the study programs offered by CA, met the needs of these farms; educating engineers, experts who were able to transfer practical knowledge and new findings into practice. At the time of establishment, the institution already emphasized research as well as education.
Test fields at FALS
- 1971/72 - the changed official policy on private farming in the late sixties and the resulting perceived need for radical changes in the curricula, contributed to CA becoming the first higher education institution in former Yugoslavia. It introduced a new curriculum with an emphasis on transferring knowledge to private farmers in the very same year. CA educated advisory experts for cooperatives, cooperative departments of large-scale state farms and for the agricultural industry in general
- 1972/73 - CA launched the Agricultural engineering study course
- The development of agriculture in the seventies and eighties of the last century, brought the family farm to the forefront, where farmers increasingly needed leadership skills, a lot of professional knowledge, and the ability to detect developmental opportunities. The study programs of CA were enriched with basic, developmentally oriented professional courses and the study programs extended from four to five semesters as a result during this period. The practical training at modern, top equipped (master) farms was also introduced.
- 1992 - in the nineties, after Slovenia declared independence, the need for global development led to the transformation of CA. The study programs were prolonged from five to eight semesters.
- 1995 - this year is one of the most important milestones in the history of the faculty. The institution went from college to faculty and was officially reorganized as the Faculty of Agriculture, offering undergraduate and postgraduate study programs.
- 1994 - the development of the former institution and its programs took place at Vrbanska street in Maribor. The working conditions were limited and there was a major lack of space. All of that presented a significant obstacle in the faculty’s development. A very important developmental step was the acquisition of the agricultural holdings Pohorski dvor and Meranovo. The Faculty received the farms from the Farmland and Forest Fund of the Republic of Slovenia in the same year, the faculty established the University Agricultural Centre (UAC), which serves the purposes of research, teaching and professional work. The UAC is also a training centre for students and a demonstration facility for knowledge transfer for external users.
- 2002 - The Botanical Garden was opened to visitors for the first time. The University of Maribor Botanical Garden, which is managed by the Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences, spreads over an area of about 8 hectares. The first steps towards planting a botanical garden were made in 1994 and many plant collections were added since 1996. Since 1999, the garden has been a member of the Botanic Gardens Conservation International society. 24 May 2002 was the official opening day of the botanical garden, celebrating the European Parks Day.
- By 2008, the Faculty renovated all buildings intended for teaching and research activities at both Meranovo and the Pohorski dvor eastate. This was also the year the faculty was officially relocated from Maribor to the new premises.
Greenhouse at UKC Pohorski dvor
- The current state is a bridge between the past and the planning for the future. Today, the Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences offers seven bachelor’s degree programs, three master’s degree programs and two PhD programs. The study programs are adapted to the new realities of Slovenia's membership in the EU and to the education for international needs. Consequently, the faculty is intensively increasing its international cooperation both in research and educational fields. Growing numbers in teaching, research and student exchanges are emerging, especially through the Erasmus program. The study programs are based on the faculty’s research, which is conducted through a number of national and international projects as well as through collaboration projects with partners from the industry sector. The knowledge transfers are regularly upgraded. The faculty is constantly re-evaluating its complex role in Slovene and international environments and the general employability of its graduates. The research and education are inter-institutional and interdisciplinary. The basic contents of the courses aimed at agricultural production are regularly upgraded with contents of sustainable development, educating students on the competitiveness in production and safe food production. Last but not least, the programmes are aimed at instilling a strong concern for protecting the environment in this era of intensive information exchange and globalization.